Spirit of Freedom is a must-see and a must-do in Cairns
- Join an adventure to Australia's Great Barrier Reef and other remote reefs!
- Visit Ribbon Reefs and the famous Cod Hole - home to a family of giant potato cod
- Up to 11 dives included and encounter stunning corals and vibrant tropical fish!
- Ideal tour for experienced divers - even includes a night dive
DIVE LEVEL RECOMMENDATION: Open Water to Experienced
Sleek and spacious, the Spirit of Freedom offers one of the best in liveaboard dive tours to the famous Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs. This tour begins every Monday from Cairns, and travels along the rarely visited Ribbon Reefs, finishing 240 km to the north at the world famous Cod Hole. With the chance to do up to 11 dives you'll get to see the best of the Great Barrier Reef, building your dive skills and immersing yourself into the famous corals of the world's most well-known reefs.
Highlights & Features
- Transfer from Cairns City hotel accommodation
- Scenic flight – Lizard Island to Cairns
- Quality, chef-prepared meals
- Australian wine with evening meals
- All linen and towels included
- Tanks and weights
- Chance to see a vast variety of marine life
- Opportunity for up to 11 dives
- Two dives on the Outer Great Barrier Reef
- Two dives at the world famous Cod Hole, home to a family of giant potato cod
- Six dives on the remarkable chain of Ribbon Reefs with varied topography
- Featuring coves with expansive beds of plate corals to isolated pinnacles, home to clouds of colourful tropical fish
- EXTRA $50pp Marine Park Levy & Port fee Applies
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience one of the worlds' greatest wonders, the Great Barrier Reef!
At 37 metres, Spirit is one of Australias largest liveaboard dive vessels with onboard facilities to satisfy the most discerning dive traveller. Electronic stabilizers ensure the smoothest cruising, while the comfortable furnishings and polished timber interior, give you the feeling of being on a luxury private yacht. Passenger entertainment areas include the sun deck, lounge/ bar and huge dining saloon with wide screen TV/DVD system. There's also a large fully equipped dive deck with nitrox and photo facilities. Spirit of Freedom has 11 roomy cabins that all feature private bathrooms and are serviced daily, to give you the best in comfort during your journey!
On your first day, your courtesy bus will pick you up around 11:00am to bring your to the Spirit of Freedom boat at Trinity Wharf. You'll be greeted by the friendly crew where you'll get a quick orientation for departure at 12:00pm. You'll get to enjoy a comfortable ride to the Great Barrier Reef where your diving adventure begins! On the first day, you will get to do up to 3 dives.
You will spend most of the next days at Ribbon Reef, exploring number 9 and 10 reefs, doing plenty of diving! You will also get to do a night dive and visit Cod Hole!
On your final day, you will head to Lizard Island, where you will hop on a scenic flight back to Cairns! The flight takes about one hour, arriving back between 11:15am and 11:45am. Your shuttle will meet you there and bring you back to your accommodation in Cairns city.
Snorkellers are welcome to join the Spirit of Freedom tour and will get to get in the water at Ribbon Reef. Snorkellers can best snorkel at here, with Coral Sea locations only suitable for experienced snorkellers. You may not be able to snorkel at every site as it weather dependent and some reefs are not suitable for snorkellers. You should be physically fit, and to ensure your safety, you may have to wear floatation devices in the water! But rest assured, while others are scuba diving, you can relax back on the deck with plenty of space to yourself.
This tour is designed with divers in mind! You should have your open water certification before joining this tour and have some level of experience. We take you to remote reefs where you will get to fully enjoy the stunning life that lives here, swimming amongst it and enjoying it at its best! You will get to do four or five dives per day, including a night dive, giving you plenty of time in the water. You will get to visit many different reef sites, the most notable being Cod Hole! This famous reef is known for its family of potato cod, which you will be able to get up close and personal with during your dive!
You will visit reef sites on the Outer Great Barrier Reef, Ribbon Reef and Cod Hole during your 3 day tour. Sites include Wonder-wall, Pixie Pinnacle, Challenger Bay, Two Towers, Lighthouse Bommie, and the Snake Pit. With the right currents, you'll get the chance to drift dive at Dynamite Pass, well known as a channel for sharks to pass through! With up to 11 dives on the itinerary, you will get to see and experience an abundance of reefs and thoroughly enjoy their diversity and beauty as you drift along in the underwater world.
- Please note that this is an example only and is subject to change
- Minimum age on board is 10 years. Children must be accompanied by a parent at all times, including when diving or snorkelling. We cannot guarantee that a crew member will be available to dive with a Junior open water diver (limited to 12m depth) on all dives. Spirit of Freedom does not supply child sized scuba equipment or wetsuits. Diving in ill-fitting equipment is not allowed.
- Diver experience recommendation: Open Water certification with minimum 10 ocean dives including 5 dives in the last 12 months
- Less experience may result in limited diving due to environmental conditions. We recommend a Scuba Diver Refresher course prior to your trip
- Snorkelling on Spirit of Freedom takes place in waters which are exposed, not calm or sheltered. Our itinerary is to suit scuba diving and you may not be able to snorkel at every site. There are opportunities to snorkel as the reef tops of the Ribbon Reefs are relatively close to the surface. Most of our guests are scuba divers; however, experienced snorkellers with a good level of fitness are welcome to join this tour.
- Due to light aircraft restrictions, your total weight of your luggage is limited to 20kg/45lb per person, including your dive gear and carry-on luggage.
What To Bring
- Dive Certification Card
- Hat and Sunscreen
- Personal items and toiletries (personal soap for each guest is provided)
- Warm clothing if you’re travelling in the winter months (May – September)
- Quick-dry towel or chamois for the dive deck
- Money for bar and other on board purchases
- Soft luggage (max 20kg)
- Accommodation transfer from Cairns City accommodation
- Scenic flight – Lizard Island to Cairns
- Opportunity for up to 11 dives
- Quality, chef-prepared meals, Australian wine with evening meals
- All linen and cabin towels
- Tanks and weights
- Dives on the Outer Great Barrier Reef
- Dives at the world famous Cod Hole home to a family of giant potato cod
- Dives on the remarkable chain of Ribbon Reefs with varied topography featuring coves with expansive beds of plate corals to isolated pinnacles, home to clouds of colourful tropical fish
- AU$50 Marine Park Levy and Port fee
- Gear hire, Nitrox fills, any courses taken on board, drinks outside of the evening meal time, seasickness tablets, and any souvenirs purchased.
- 3 Day Full Equipment Rental (if required) - $130pp
- 3 Day Nitrox Package - $75pp
- PADI Advanced Course - $265pp
- PADI Nitrox Course - $325pp
Please click here for more diving information and to read the medical questionnaire.
Terms and Conditions
Please advise us before booking if any passengers are under 18 years old to ensure this is the appropriate trip.
You must reconfirm all booked tours prior to travel as specified on your voucher. If applicable, notes such as dietary requirements, pick-up locations and additional fees should also be confirmed at this time. Reconfirmations cannot be actioned through Sailing Whitsundays/Mr Travel, and must be done so directly through the Service Operator as specified on each ticket.
It is your responsibility to notify us of ticket discrepancies. Please read through the details on your voucher thoroughly to ensure all details such as passenger names, ages and dates of travel on vouchers are correct.
It is the responsibility of all passengers travelling to advise both your travel agent at the time of booking and vessel check-in agent before boarding of any medical conditions including food allergies you may suffer from.
You need to allow adequate time to check-in prior to the specified departure time.
All prices are stated in Australian dollars and include GST. Surcharges over peak holiday seasons may apply.
The Service Operator reserves the right to alter prices and extra costs. Extra costs may include EMC fees, Stingersuit/Wetsuit Hire, Luggage Storage, Insurance, Linen Hire, National Park Fees, Fuel Levies, Dietary Fees, etc. Bonds may also apply.
We will also endeavour to communicate these extra costs with you at the time of booking, and on your ticket. However, it is your responsibility to confirm which (if any) additional costs apply with each Service Operator upon reconfirming your trip.
It should be noted that adventure travel involves risk. Whilst we make every effort to safeguard clients, we cannot be responsible for personal injury or loss due to the actions of our clients which are beyond our control. We highly recommend that all clients have travel insurance covering illness, injury, loss or damage to personal belongings and not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure. You should also ensure your travel insurance will cover special circumstances including weather events preventing guests from travelling to their tour departure destination and cancelled flights due to unforeseen circumstances.
The Service Operator reserves the right to limit courtesy transfers to select local accommodations. Private residences or Airbnb properties may be asked to meet at the closest confirmed location. Failure to meet at the specified pick-up location may be treated as “No Show”, for which the Client Cancellation Policy applies.
Please be aware operators pass on credit card merchant fees so there is a non-refundable 1% surcharge for VISA and MASTERCARD card purchases.
Terms and Conditions (including the Cancellation Policy) are subject to change. The most recent versions can be found online on the relevant product pages.
All ticket/voucher reissues attract a $20 administration fee.
Open Date Vouchers / Gift Certificate:
Shipping Costs are in addition to the ticket price and will be added at check-out. Shipping costs are non-refundable and do not makeup part of the ticket value.
E-Vouchers incur no shipping fees.
You have 5 years to use the value of the voucher. Seasonal Price Rises will apply if travelling out the current seasons pricing. Vouchers can be exchanged for free up to the full value of the voucher excluding credit card fees and charges.
All client cancellations forfeit 25% of total ticket price. No shows or client cancellations made within 21 day of departure forfeit 100% of the total ticket price.
Sailing Whitsundays are required to notify the operator of any cancellations within the specified cancellation period (24 hours). It is your responsibility to make sure you submit your cancellation request with adequate time, and during standard business hours (9am-5pm), to allow us to contact the tour provider.
Transfers between tours can be made at the suppliers discretion, however, it should be noted that supplier fees may apply. Tour transfers also incur a $20 administration fee.
It is compulsory that all cancellation requests are in writing and sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations attempted via online chat or phone will not be actioned.
The Service Operator reserves the right to alter prices, alter itineraries, apply a fuel surcharge, cancel departures, arrange alternative transport and vary itineraries and services if necessary.
All departures and itineraries are subject to weather. Tours may be changed or cancelled for any reason at the discretion of the Service Operator. If the Service Operator has to cancel the trip or activity (prior to departure) and we cannot offer a suitable alternative, then a refund will be given minus a 20% administration fee and any associated card fees. We strongly recommend that you have travel insurance, especially during the wet season.
In the unlikely event of your trip being cancelled or stood down, all guest communication is required to go through our Online Store via telephone or email. While there is a Sailing Whitsundays retail outlet located Airlie Beach, please be aware that they operate as a separate entity and are unable to access reservations made by the Mr Travel online department.
All refunds are in Australian Dollars and must be made to the card of payment. Sailing Whitsundays/Mr Travel is not liable for exchange rate fluctuations or fees, or any other merchant/bank fees associated with domestic and/or international transactions.
Where a full refund is applicable, there is the option to transfer the whole cost of the tour to another tour or “Credit” to avoid the administration fee. A transfer fee of $20 will apply.
You will be emailed confirmation once the refund has been processed. Once the refund has been processed, it may still take time for the banks to clear the amount. Please allow 7-10 business days for the funds to clear into Australian accounts and up to 21 business days for international accounts.
All Service Operators have the right to provide client feedback and to cancel bookings based off of feedback from other Service Operators.
Please enjoy your travel experience in a kind and responsible manner.
Sailing Whitsundays/Mr Travel will treat this as any normal client cancellation and therefore the cancellation fees stated in the Client Cancellation Policy will apply.
Thank you for booking with our East-Coast travel experts here at Mr Travel/Sailing Whitsundays. If you would like any further advice, assistance in arranging accommodation, transfers or additional tours please get in touch.