Join us for a unique and fun tour of the interesting Chillagoe Outback
- Travel with a family owned and operated company
- Travel in comfortable air-conditioned buses through the interesting terrain, enjoying the sites!
- See the famous Australian Outback at its best!
- Includes Chillagoe, Mareeba, Aboriginal Rock Art and Australian Outback
Billy Tea Safaris offers guests the chance to see the Chillagoe Rainforest in custom built 4WD vehicles, where they can ride around in comfort, enjoying the sites. Your naturalist guides have extensive knowledge of the flora, fauna and history of the area as well as Aboriginal culture, ensuring your day leaves you with memories to last a lifetime.
- Informative naturalist tour guide
- Small group tour in a premium 4WD
- Explore the famous Chillagoe Caves
- Drive past diverse dry tropical farmlands
- Visit the local Aboriginal rock art and Balancing Rock
- Feed the wallabies Granite Gorge and see local wildlife
- Spot kangaroos, emus, wallabies, wedge-tail eagles in the outback
- Pass through historic mining ghost towns and outback communities
- Find fossils in ancient limestone casts at Chillagoe
- View the once-booming Chillagoe smelter ruins
- Have an Outback Aussie lunch at a 100-year-old pub
- Morning Tea at Skybury Coffee Plantation
- Local Chillagoe Gift shop is a must see!
Your naturalist guide will meet you at your accommodation and after introductions all around, we'll ascend the McAllister Ranges and head west through Mareeba embarking on a remarkable journey back to prehistoric times, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth.
We travel through the back blocks of this wetland area viewing wallabies, emus and other wildlife and then along the irrigated agricultural paddocks of this fertile area, eventually crossing over the Great Divide and into the Western watershed. Travel through historical towns and rolling hills rich in minerals eventually giving way to towering limestone karsts scattered around Chillagoe.
Our first stop is the National Parks Cave tour. The fossilised remains of the ancient coral reefs with hidden limestone labyrinths give a portal to a lost world just like our own Great Barrier Reef. Millions of years in the making, the limestone formations are nothing short of spectacular.
Chillagoe smelter ruins
We then delve into the history of the copper smelters; whose old chimneys dominate the western horizon. We visit the remains of the once mighty smelters to ponder what it was like working there!
Here we get to feed wallabies and hold other indigenous animals! This is a great chance to see Australia wildlife up close and enjoy them at their best.
- Cairns 6:50am
- Northern Beaches 6:45am
- Port Douglas 6:00am
- Cairns and Northern Beaches 6:30pm
- Port Douglas 7:30pm
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for this tour as there are steps into the caves, uneven ground. The tour may be closed or itinerary changed due to the wet season where conditions may close roads and access to the caves. Please ensure that you wear closed in footwear for the cave tour. Flip flops and high heels are not suitable for this tour.
- Port Douglas transfers are an additional cost.
BOOK WITH US TODAY! CALL 1800 550 751 OR LIVE CHAT US NOW!
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sweater (for colder months)
- Water bottle
- Cash for additional drinks and snacks
- Naturalist guide
- Courtesy pick-up and return
- Air-conditioned 4WD vehicles
- Mareeba Wetlands & boat cruise
- Morning Tea
- Delicious Aussie Pub Lunch
- Tour of Chillagoe cave
- Chillagoe Smelters
- The ultimate day in the outback!
- Personal expenses
- Transfer from Port Douglas with an additional cost of $99.00 per person payable to guide on board.
- Environmental & fuel levy may apply.
Terms and Conditions
All departures and itineraries are subject to weather. Tours may be changed or cancelled for any reason at the discretion of the Tour Operator.
It should be noted that adventure travel involves risk. Whilst we make every effort to safeguard clients, we cannot be responsible for personal injury or loss due to actions of our clients which are beyond our control.
We recommend that all clients have travel insurance covering illness, injury, loss or damage to personal belongings and not being able to travel
on the confirmed date of departure. Please be aware operators pass on credit card merchant fees so there is a non-refundable 2.5% surcharge for VISA and MASTERCARD purchases.
All client cancellations forfeit 25% of total ticket price and all client cancellations made less than 21 days prior to departure will result in complete forfeiture of the full price of the tour or package. If the tour operator has to cancel the trip or activity (prior to the departure) and we cannot offer a suitable alternative, then a refund will be given minus card fees. We strongly recommend that you have travel insurance, especially during the wet season.
Thank you for booking with Mr Travel If you would like any advice or assistance in arranging accommodation, transfers or additional tours, please do not hesitate to contact us.